Heart of Hopkins: Katy Montgomery

Priya Prakash
Priya Prakash

Priya is a current MS Health Care Management candidate at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, with knowledge of biotechnology and engineering, and is interested in working towards process improvement in hospitals. Her past experiences include a bachelor's degree in biotechnology, internships at pharmaceutical and medical diagnostic companies. She has been actively involved with organizations such as TED and IEEE, and causes pertaining to heath and education.

I was preparing to depart for my third and final interview with the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. I received a phone call from my father — my mother was on her morning walk and was hit by a driver under the influence — she passed soon after that call. She was an incredible woman. My mother was a dynamic person and people were really drawn to her. She was one of a kind and truly an inspiration. We pursued the case and the man who hit her is currently in jail, but it doesn’t make the loss any easier. She was irreplaceable. It was a huge loss for our family, but we channeled our energies into working, trying to make a difference. My dad asked us, “what are you going to do, sleep all day?” He was right. It has been almost three and a half years since she passed. And we have all worked and we got stronger together and are more grateful than ever for each other. None of us have spent all day in bed. The year after she passed, my father saw the most patients in all his years as a doctor, my brother had the most billable hours in his career as an attorney, my other brother broke sales records, and my sister published the most academic papers in her department. . .and I got this job.

With Humans of New York, Brandon Stanton depicts stories in a manner that strikes a chord with many. Adopting a global phenomenon such as that, with a belief that each person brings a unique story, we present to you Heart of Hopkins to help you know better the person you see across the hallway each day, your favorite professor and the staff who helps you when you are lost.

The idea for Heart of Hopkins came to Carey the Torch from Priya Prakash, a student in the healthcare management program at Carey. Interacting with people from all walks of life while working on the Six Degrees Project at her undergraduate alma mater, Vellore Institute of Technology, based on the ‘six degrees of separation’ theory, she collected stories of people who left her inspired. Such tales of courage, determination, resilience, or even pure happiness deserve to be heard; and most definitely – shared.

Here’s to these people, who are undeniably more than just faces and through their dynamic personalities impact others more than they know.