9 Takeaways From Vice Dean Kevin Frick’s Ultra-Marathon

Kevin Frick

Kevin D. Frick, PhD, is a health economist. He is a Professor and the Vice Dean for Education at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Dr. Frick received his PhD in Economics and Health Services Organization and Policy from the University of Michigan in 1996. He currently holds a joint appointment at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in the Department of Health Policy and Management. While at the Bloomberg School of Public Health, Dr. Frick taught and conducted cost-effectiveness analysis. He has more than 150 total peer-reviewed publications and has published over 40 articles, reviews, and editorials that put to use the latest techniques in conducting cost-effectiveness and outcomes research in vulnerable populations.

The week before Memorial Day, I was in South Africa working on a research project, lecturing at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, and participating in the Comrades Marathon.

The runners!

Beautiful sights throughout the race.

Many of my colleagues asked how I did. I’m happy to share takeaways from my experience, and if you want to read a long version of my experience, then please check out the piece I wrote on my personal blog.

Never give up.

1. Just because something looks easy does not mean it will be.
  2. Take it seriously when someone tells you something will be challenging. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised if it is not, but you should be prepared for the challenge.
  3. If you do not find joy in the process but only in the goal, then you may be missing out on a lot.
  4. Each person has their own reason for their goals and their own way of reaching them; do not discount any of them.
  5. You need to be efficient when taking steps toward your goal.
  6. Little recognition can sometimes go a long way.
  7. There is nothing wrong with asking for a little help along the way.
  8. Training will affect your “second act” as much as it supports the “main event.” To be successful, you need a second act and not just a one-off success.
  9. You have to figure out the best way to measure progress toward your goal to keep you motivated.