3 Reasons Being in a Hurry is Not Worth It

Krasi Shapkarova

Krasi is Carey the Torch's Editor-in-Chief and also represents the Career Development Office in Washington, D.C., working with students on career exploration and development. Krasi holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and a Master of Arts in International Human Rights from the University of Denver.

I’m in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life’s no fun
All I’ve really gotta do is live and die
But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why….

Roger Murrah and Randy VanWarmer

I’m not the biggest country music fan, but I love “I’m in a Hurry (And Don’t Know Why),” Florida Georgia Line feat. Alabama. And I see it as the perfect background music for the end of the academic year.

Many students I’ve met in the last few weeks express a sense of urgency about their future: find an internship now, find the perfect job now, figure out my life now. I can’t blame them for living in a state of such urgency. It’s a ‘fast-paced’ world after all. And plenty of job descriptions seek applicants able to perform in ‘fast-paced environments.’

No one, however, explains why we need to be in such a hurry.

And when it comes to job search, being in a hurry to secure employment slows down the process instead of speeding it up. Here is why.

1. Clarifying career goals could be a long-term process involving hours, days or years of thought and reflection. What you think you want to do is not necessarily what you’d like to do. Is it a surprise, then, that the notion of a gap year has become so popular? Not for everyone but a solid option.
  2. Identifying target companies and researching them well requires patience and time. When you have your industry, you might be ready “to do anything” and spread a wide net when it comes to job applications. That might be perceived as lack of focus and motivation to work in a specific company so take the time to pick target employers and do your homework by learning what you can about them.
  3. Developing solid networks takes lots of time. If you are the person who claims that there is no time for networking, you should not be frustrated with the lack of responses to your applications. Even if you have a clear goal and a target list of companies, don’t try to bypass building relationships with influencers in your area of interest. Eventually, you will have to do it so why not do it right from the beginning.