Don’t Get Mad, Get Funny

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

Garry Shandling always said to me, ‘Don’t get mad, get funny.’ It changed my life.

Rip Torn

Garry Shandling was a comedian, director, and producer who passed away in late-March. He was best known for two cable television shows: It’s Garry Shandling’s Show and The Larry Sanders Show. Rip Torn was a cast member on The Larry Sanders Show for six seasons and earned an Emmy for his role on the show.

Shortly after Garry Shandling’s passing, I saw this quote. And my immediate reaction was, how great that a simple quote can change someone’s life. How amazing it is that we are surrounded by people who can provide such wisdom and comfort in only six words!  And, then I started to really think about what Garry Shandling was saying.

Think about times when you have gotten mad, angry, frustrated. How do you feel? How does it affect you? It takes a lot of energy to be enraged, right? And that can distract you from what is really important.

Now, think about how you feel when you are funny, laughing, making someone chuckle. How does that affect you? Are you more open? Positive?

Go forth and be funny! Here are some knock-knock jokes to get you started. They get my five-year-old nephew every time!