How Being Yourself Helps Your Career

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

March 2nd was Dr. Seuss’ birthday. If still alive today he would be 112. To celebrate the day of his birth, many elementary school children dressed up as Dr. Seuss’ characters. Seeing the pictures of students dressed up as Thing One and Thing Two, The Grinch, Cat in the Hat, and Sam I Am, reminded me of one of my favorite Dr. Seuss’ quotes:

Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

This is a message that I share often with students, especially when I am in one-on-one coaching sessions. Often, students try to fit in a mold they think employers desire. For example, I recently read this sentence in a student’s cover letter: “Because of my MBA education, I am familiar with the dynamic, fast-paced, highly diversified working environment at X company.” I stopped and read the sentence aloud to the student and asked, “What is this saying? Does this sentence scream YOU and your skills and talents, or could this sentence be attributed to any MBA student in the world?” You can guess the student’s answer.

Don’t run from the one asset that you have that no one else has: Your “YOU-ness!”