Now That You Don’t Have To Be Perfect

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.”

John Steinbeck

John Steinbeck, the famous American novelist, wrote this quote in his book East of Eden. I love this quote. It makes me feel like I can do anything. It gives me hope. It motivates me to strive for something bigger than myself, but at the same time attainable.

We are often not very nice to ourselves. Although work colleagues and friends may tell you I have a healthy self-regard (and I stress the word healthy), I, similar to most adults, beat myself up or find fault in who I am. But, sometimes you just have to “get out of yourself” and realize that you are not perfect. And guess what, no one is! Coming to that realization can open up a whole world of possibilities. And one possibility is simply being good.

Being good is way less daunting than being perfect.