5 Questions Standing Between You and Your Next Job

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

Always remember, your focus determines your reality.

George Lucas

So, I must admit (and I know this admission may result in alienating thousands of Carey students and alumni) that I am not much of a Star Wars fan. In fact, my interest in Star Wars most closely mirrors Amy Poehler’s interest. But, I think George Lucas, Star Wars creator, filmmaker, entrepreneur, and founder of Lucasfilm nailed it with this quote. Particularly when it comes to job searching.

When I meet with students frustrated with their job searches, I generally ask a set of very simple questions:

1. What is your industry focus?
  2. What is your function focus?
  3. What is your geographic focus?
  4. Which companies are on your target list?
  5. Who have you networked with in your industry, function, preferred geographic location, or set of target companies?

And guess what, more often than not, these students can’t articulate a focus or give a clear answer to any of these questions. Focus is necessary when job searching. Otherwise, one can be overwhelmed by the options and become completely aimless in his/her application or approach to employers. This is why it is advisable to work with a career coach early in your time at Carey. A coach can help you find focus.

And, maybe even a little of the force, too!

With Carey’s 2nd Annual Career Fair a few days away, do you have focus? Are you ready to articulate that focus when speaking with employers? To better prepare you for the Career Fair, the Career Development Office is hosting a Career Fair Blitz, Feb. 8-11, 11:30am-1:30pm and 4-6pm. In DC, you can find us in the student area at 1625 Massachusetts Ave NW, and in Harbor East, you can find us on the 2nd floor.