Integrity: Steve Harvey Has It!

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

You have seen the video by now. And, if you haven’t seen the video you have seen the memes on social media. Steve Harvey, comedian, radio host, TV personality, and host of the 2015 Miss Universe pageant, announced the wrong winner of the Miss Universe contest via live telecast. He announced Miss Columbia as Miss Universe and Miss Philippines as first runner-up. Miss Colombia was crowned and began to walk the stage. Steve Harvey realized he made a mistake, apologized, and corrected his gaffe. Although devastating for Miss Colombia, what Steve Harvey did was the right thing. He took personal responsibility for his mistake.

In fact, when he realized he made a mistake he said the following, “I will take responsibility for this. It was my mistake.” He didn’t blame anyone else. He didn’t provide excuses. And, he also didn’t run from the limelight. Instead, he immediately went to twitter and apologized to both Miss Colombia and Miss Philippines and the audience:

I’d like to apologize wholeheartedly to Miss Colombia & Miss Phillipines for my huge mistake.

Secondly, I’d like to apologize to the viewers that I disappointed as well.

Integrity is being honest. It is doing what is right when it is not easy. It is not easy to admit fault in front of millions of people. It is not easy to be the brunt of jokes. It is not easy to hear the public comments about your abilities. Despite it not being easy, Steve Harvey told the truth. He was honorable.

Integrity: Steve Harvey sure has it!