Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

As long as I can remember, I have loved reading. So much, in fact, that I have actively been a book club member, a goodreads user, and a live book reading attendee. Reading is one of my passions. I can’t even put into words how giddy I am about leisurely reading over the holiday break when I normally would be working. It feels indulgent.

But the benefits of being a reader are what make the practice so great and so necessary. Regular reading develops critical thinking skills, improves empathy, reduces stress, boosts your vocabulary (take this quiz to test your vocabulary; one of the questions is, “How much do you read overall?”), and enhances creativity.

And, guess what—reading is free and convenient! You don’t even need to buy an e-reader or visit the library. If you have a smartphone, you can download books from online sources at no charge. I am a member of the DC Library and frequently download books (even new releases) from my laptop.

To get you started on finding the next book to dive into, check out NPR’s Best Books of 2015. My personal favorite book of 2015, A Little Life, made the list! Need more, here is another great list.

Happy Reading and Happy New Year!