3 Job Hunting Tips From a Carey Grad Assistant

Qiuhong Ye
Qiuhong Ye

Qiuhong (Demy) Ye attends the Flexible MBA program at Carey Business school, concentrating on Financial Business and Real Estate Management. She has an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering and an advanced degree in Engineering Management from Northeastern University in China.

Hello and Ni Hao!

Welcome back to a new semester! Hope everyone had a great winter break!

My name is Qiuhong Ye (pronounced Cho-Hong-Yay), but for simplicity you may call me Demy. I am originally from China and immigrated to the U.S. in 2010. I am excited to be the newest member of the Carey Business School Career Development team in Washington, DC.

As a Graduate Assistant, I am available to students who need career-related assistance through drop-in advising, professional document reviews and administrative duties. Meanwhile, I will provide assistance with Coaching and Education projects and marketing and event support for CDO events in DC. Starting Spring I semester, my open office hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 1pm-3pm, and I can be found at the career development center located on the 3rd floor of the BOB building. You can also reach me at qye3@jhu.edu with questions or to schedule an appointment. 

I joined the Carey Business School in Fall 2015 as a candidate of the Flexible MBA program, concentrating on Financial Business and Real Estate management, and have an expected graduation date in Fall 2017. I completed an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering and an advanced degree in Engineering Management at Northeastern University in China. I previously worked in Human Resources Management for a boutique hotel based in DC and had two year experience on resume reviewing, job interviewing and employees training. Prior to that, I worked in Supply Chain Management in General Electric for four years, starting as a member from one of GE global leadership programs. I have been on both sides of the interviewing table and would like to share with you my knowledge specifically on career development. Here are some tips I find helpful for your job hunting and career development:

• Be confident: Being confident is the best attitude during job hunting and plays an important role in the career development. Believe in yourself, be yourself but not being overconfident is the golden rule.
  • Be intelligent: Being intelligent is not about being smart. To prepare well and to behave smartly during job interviews is the right way to be an intelligent candidate.
  • See the big picture: Avoid being shortsighted and be able to identify opportunities from a big picture. Ignoring the big picture will limit the precious chances in career development. Learn how to explore the big picture and identify opportunities that will offer you a different look on career development.

There are more I would like to share with you all, and I am excited and look forward to working with you in the future. My door is always open, so please stop by anytime to say Hi & Ni Hao!