We Are All Connected

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

Inspiration strikes you at the most unexpected moments. And, you can find inspiration in everything. And, inspiration is personal. What emboldens or motivates you might not resonate with another. The other day I was on a walk and passed Phoebe Hearst Elementary School. This elementary school is steps from my home. I have passed it a thousand times. But on this particular day, a set of mosaic steps caught my eye:

Steps at Phoebe Hearst Elementary

Steps at Phoebe Hearst Elementary

“You are never alone. You are eternally connected with everyone.”

Isn’t it true. Think of how many people you engage with everyday. Consider the lives you have intertwined with since you were born. On your commute to Carey today how many individuals did you cross? You are never alone. I take this mantra seriously. Treat people with respect, compassion, and dignity. Because we are all connected in some way or form. It is great that Phoebe Hearst is teaching students as young as four that they are part of a bigger community and the significant responsibility and comfort that brings.