3 Tips to Enhance Your Job Search

Ying Wei
Ying Wei

Ying (Elaine) Wei is a graduate of the MS Marketing program at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Her specialties include market research, social media, customer behavior and business consulting. She recently joined iTalk Global Communications as a Marketing Specialist.

When I came to Carey a little over a year ago, I was told that it was difficult for international students to find jobs in the United States, especially for marketing graduates. I had little knowledge about the job search skills required and not enough information about the business world. But I was determined and thanks to the support of the Career Development Office, I am now a success story.

During the Summer Intensive program, the Career Development Office staff taught us basic methods of job search and career development. It was my first lesson with the great CDO team, which was also the beginning of my professional development at Carey. Similar to other students, I tried to make appointments with the CDO team and sought insights and guidance. Consequently, by utilizing the skills learned from CDO, I identified internal referrals and interview opportunities. Step by step, I worked with the CDO team on job searching, social networking, resume, mock interview, and salary negotiation.

Kathy Bovard has been instrumental in guiding me through the process and with her help, my efforts paid off and I secured a full-time offer. Now, I would like to share some tips about job searching to help current and future Carey students:

1. It is never too late to polish your resume and tailor it to your industry/position of interest.
  2. Take advantage of LinkedIn to look for potential opportunities and referrals.
  3. Paying attention to details–polished image, strong stories, confident responses–is the key to success.

I highly recommend that Carey students collaborate with CDO on job searching, resume, professional branding and mock interviews. The more you practice, the better you get!