The Happiness Within

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

Have you seen the happiness cartoon that is going viral on social media? Every time I open Facebook, Google+, Instagram, you name it, there it is:

Happiness Is...

The first time I saw this cartoon my eyes immediately set upon a small token Kathy Bovard gave me. The token is no larger than the size of a stick of gum and just says “be happy.” Often we, and I am very guilty of this, are sad, lonely, angry, and unhappy due to our circumstances. We are stressed at work, frustrated with a significant other, or unsatisfied by our lack of work/life balance. But this does not mean we can’t be happy. We have the ability to control our thoughts, mindset, and outlook on life. Research has shown that positive thoughts can allow you to see more possibilities in your life, build you skill set and reduce stress.

You can create happiness in your life. You can be happy. So if the pressure of the job search, upcoming group projects, or a looming deadline is getting you down, remember you have control. Think positive thoughts, exercise, do something kind for someone else, be grateful. Stop searching. Start doing.