Becoming Resilient

Krasi Shapkarova

Krasi is Carey the Torch's Editor-in-Chief and also represents the Career Development Office in Washington, D.C., working with students on career exploration and development. Krasi holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and a Master of Arts in International Human Rights from the University of Denver.

Don’t you worry about me. I’ll always come out on top.

Astrid Lindgren, Pippi Longstocking

When I was growing up, Pippi Longstocking was my heroine. She wore mismatched, colorful clothes, sought adventure, and exhibited unmatched fearlessness. She was everything I wanted to be. And as I look back on my favorite childhood book, I also realize that Pippi was quite resilient. No wonder she inspires so many young girls. Resilience is not just about withstanding hardship, tragedy and bad fortune; it’s also about having the conviction that in the face of the aforementioned, you will make it. That belief is quite powerful. It can carry you through thick and thin. Uncertainty in life is inevitable. We must live in the present for the future is not known, or given for that matter. Once you realize that despite the circumstances thrown at you, you will figure out a way to come out on top, nothing can stop you from doing just that.