The Courage to Be Truly Happy

Katy Montgomery

Katy currently serves as the Global Director of the Career Development Centre at INSEAD where she manages career services professionals across three campuses: Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau, and Singapore. Katy previously served as the Associate Dean for Student Development at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to travel to Philadelphia for Pope Francis’ visit. I joined my family to see the Pope in person and to be part of an open air mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, attended by hundreds of thousands of people. As I was walking through the city, I saw three banners hung in honor of the Pope’s visit with the following quotes:

Have the courage to be truly happy.

We all have the duty to do good.

Love is the measure of faith.

During the mass, my mind kept coming back to the first quote, “Have the courage to be truly happy.” I have worked in the career development field for over ten years. Throughout that time I have worked with law students, practicing attorneys, business students, and alumni. More often than not career conversations are focused on salary, job location, upward mobility, and career trajectory. We often forget to ponder the basic question, “what makes me happy?” But the answer to this question is quite important.

Do you have the courage to be truly happy? Even if it means taking a pay cut, moving to a far-away land, stepping away from the rat race, or doing something scary?