Read to Know Thyself

Krasi Shapkarova

Krasi is Carey the Torch's Editor-in-Chief and also represents the Career Development Office in Washington, D.C., working with students on career exploration and development. Krasi holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and a Master of Arts in International Human Rights from the University of Denver.

“We read books to find out who we are. What other people, real or imaginary, do and think and feel… is an essential guide to our understanding of what we ourselves are and may become.”

Ursula K. Le Guin

Books, as static as they might look, could not be more alive and full of inspirational stories that teach us about the world we live in, about the people around us, and most importantly, about who we really are. However, the problem of many people not reading anything, let alone books, is a real one. Many do not read and are not even interested in starting the activity as it is doomed as time-consuming and boring and never really given a chance. I have always enjoyed reading books and cannot imagine my future without a book in my hands. When I was younger, books were windows through which I could leave the boundaries of my house, the small village I lived in, even the country I was growing up in. I learned about people, beliefs, and ideas that I would not have come across had I not been reading. Even today, every time I open a book, I fall through the rabbit hole and similar to Alice, encounter a wonderland crowded with people, places, and events that teach me something new and make me a better person. So if you are struggling with your value prop, not sure how to describe yourself, perhaps all you need to do is grab a book and dive in.