Alumni Profile: Kelley Smith

Caitlin Magidson

Caitlin works with students and alumni in Washington DC as a transformational Career Coach. She provides guidance around self-exploration, job search strategy, and networking through individualized coaching and professional development courses.

Ms. Smith is a graduate of Johns Hopkins Carey Business School (MBA ’15) and Vanderbilt University (B.A. Economics). She has worked as a Management Analyst, Program Analyst, Grants Management Specialist, and in auditing roles at a federal capacity. She created an online marketing start-up business in fall 2012, which was acquired in fall 2013. In her spare time, she enjoys running, bikram yoga, writing, traveling, and photography.

What advice would you give new graduates?
(1)
Stay in touch with your professors, classmates, and previous employers/co-workers. You don’t need to stay in touch with everyone, but you should keep up with those who inspire you!
(2) The idea of intelligence is relative. Studies have shown that hard work is the real thing that separates people, beyond innate intelligence or ability.
(3) In the words of Under Armour founder Kevin Plank, “Be humble & stay hungry.”

What is one thing students should do while in school to prepare for a job?
Be willing to take on challenges that most would turn away from. In order to get where I wanted to be in my career by graduation, I ended up taking 4 classes per quarter (8 per semester) while working a full time job (40+ hours per week), and a part-time position as a management consultant for another company (15+ hours per week). I was also running a start-up company and training for the Miss Maryland USA pageant at that time. From doing this, I learned more about myself, became more effective at time management, gained new skills, and boosted my career prospects. Experiences make for a more interesting job interview!

What is your favorite thing about your current job?
I enjoy the autonomy and love being able to solve problems creatively. I also believe in the mission of my company—to seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability.

What is the most influential experience you had at Carey?
Global Strategy with Professor Paul Gurny. He walks you through how to become a better critical thinker and be the person who asks the right questions.

What three words would you use to define your time at Carey?
Challenging, Unique, Flexible