Alumni Career Week: Shawn Isinhue

Caitlin Magidson

Caitlin works with students and alumni in Washington DC as a transformational Career Coach. She provides guidance around self-exploration, job search strategy, and networking through individualized coaching and professional development courses.

Shawn Isinhue is currently a Consultant in Deloitte Consulting’s Federal Healthcare practice. His current role is advising senior military leadership at the Military Health System (MHS) on strategic policy for Health Information/Technology sharing between the Department of Defense and the Veterans Health Administration as well as supporting the process design, requirements gathering, and governance process of functional requirements for the Department of Defense’s healthcare records modernization effort. Shawn’s professional career began at AT&T in their Business Sales Leadership Development program where Shawn managed a corporate account portfolio for AT&T in the Washington, DC metro area. Shawn holds dual degrees in Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Philosophy from Wake Forest University (’09) and a Master of Arts in Management from Wake Forest’s Graduate School of Business (’10). Shawn is also a graduate of Johns Hopkins Carey Business School’s Global MBA (’14) where he was an active member of the Consulting Club and Student Government as well as a Writing Tutor and the Class of 2014 graduation student speaker.

What advice would you give new graduates?
Most graduates will get the advice of “Set goals for yourself,” but I want to tailor that just a little bit. Of course, goal setting is important, but it’s not a failure if you don’t reach your goals immediately. There is plenty of time for you to work towards your goals, and if that doesn’t happen, it’s not a sign of failure. Goals are usually long-term milestones we set for ourselves and we take the appropriate actions to reach them. If you find that your goals are escaping you, setting checkpoints for yourself to evaluate whether or not you need a change is a breath of fresh air. Sometimes we conflate goals with tasks. Tasks are things that we finish and check off a box, but goals are long-term achievements worth working for. So, if you didn’t get your dream job after graduation or you didn’t get the promotion you were hoping for or your startup is not where you dreamed it would be, it’s ok to pivot and be nimble. No one judges you for that.

What is one thing students should do while in school to prepare for a job?
Take the opportunity in school to work on your communication skills. In MBA school, we have a tendency, especially in Year 1, to get bogged down in spreadsheets, formulas, and theories. In many jobs, those skills will come in handy, but being able to effectively explain those things is what will make you stand out. At the end of the day, business is about people, and daily transactions and interactions can’t get done in the workplace unless ideas are being communicated properly.

What is your favorite thing about your current job?
The best thing about my job is the day-to-day variety of my work and the impact we’re making on the client. I’ve had the fortune of being on a project where I get to see all of the moving parts come together, and I’m able to see how my work has helped to move the project forward. My role requires me to be flexible and challenges me to learn quickly and make the appropriate decisions when necessary.

What is the most influential experience you had at Carey?
I point to I4H (Innovation for Humanity) as the most influential experience at Carey. I worked on a process improvement project for a small clinic in Quito, Ecuador. It was a chance to get hands-on experience, and solidified my desire to go into consulting. A lot of people think that what you learn in school is not applicable to the real world, but I4H proved that there is a critical intersection between the theories in the classroom and the real-world. I’m bringing a lot of the experience from my time in Ecuador to my role today. Even if the content of my current work is not exactly the same as it was in Ecuador, there are principles I developed at I4H that I use every day, such as the development of quality client deliverables, communicating with a client, and project management skills.

What three words would you use to define your time at Carey?
Entrepreneurial, Growth, Opportunity

If you’re a Carey alum, take full advantage of Alumni Career Week by visiting CareyCompass.com, signing up for a coaching appointment, and registering for the HireMaryland Alumni-Only Career Fair (6/10).

HireMaryland Alumni-Only Career Fair
June 10, 2015 | 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Notre Dame of Maryland University—MBK Gymnasium
4701 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210

Click here for a full list of employers
and registration information.