I recently attended the MBA CSEA Asian Conference and had the pleasure of hearing Wendy Nicholls of the Hay Group speak about the leadership skills needed for the future. More specifically, what should leadership look like in the year 2030?
The Hay Group has identified 6 megatrends that will shape what type of leaders companies will need by the year 2030. I have briefly summarized these megatrends below:
- Globalization: moving towards Asia & Africa
- Environmental Crisis: advocating for social & environmental issues
- Tech Convergence: supporting innovation
- Individualization: seeking meaningful work and identifying issues of loyalty
- Digital Lifestyle: leading remotely as a digital native
- Demographic Change: having diverse employees
What type of leader will be able to work successfully in the context of these megatrends? The answer is the altrocentric leader. Altrocentric leaders are leaders who consider others; their leadership style is relationship based. Key features of these leaders include:
- Conceptual & Strategic Thinking
- Loyalty Creation
- Power Sharing & Collaboration
- Emotional Intelligence
Are you on the right path to becoming an altrocentric leader? Will you be ready to successfully lead in 15 years?