Recently, Christy Murray and I joined Dean Ferrari and other Carey leaders in Hong Kong and throughout China. During the visit we met with admitted students, alumni, employers, and media outlets. Our goal was to continue to grow the Carey brand and strengthen our personal contacts in China. To achieve the goal, Christy and I met with a number of people representing the following companies:
- Bank of America / Merrill Lynch
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- China HEJUN Consulting Group
- Chinasolutions LLC
- China UnionPay
- CITIC Securities Co. Ltd.
- DBS Bank
- EverBright Welfare International Leasing Co.
- GE Global Operations
- Guominxinhe Investment Fund
- Hay Group
- Royal Bank China
- Samsung OpenTide
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
Below are a few takeaways from these meetings.
- We noticed the following industries booming: Healthcare (especially Mobile Health & Healthcare Management), Clean Technology, Entertainment, E-Commerce, and Big Data.
- We can confirm that employers are looking for students with strong emotional intelligence skills, ethics, and the ability to think critically.
- If you are actively searching for employment in China, you should regularly use the following job search websites:
Last, hiring timelines in China tend to follow U.S. hiring timelines:
September: Promotion Starts (target schools, campus promotion, posting with vendors)
September/October: Resume Reviews & Online Assessments
November/December: Face-to-face Interviews (group and one-on-one; usually 4-8 hours)
February: Start Date after Chinese New Year (for specialty MS students or just-in-time hires)
June: Start Date for MBA students