4 Benefits of Joining a Carey Club

Peiyi Yang

Peiyi Yang is a Master of Science in Finance Candidate (Class of 2015) at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. She serves as the Director of the Private Equity, Angel Syndicates and Venture Capital Club (PAV) at Carey's DC campus. Peiyi has interned in both China and the U.S. and her most recent internship was as a Private Equity Associate at Capitol Partners, LLC in Washington, D.C.

Be involved! Find and join student clubs and organizations through Carey’s dedicated club website—B-Involved—boasting 40+ student-led organizations.

Johns Hopkins Carey Business School is a magical place where I can embrace so many opportunities. During the daily classes, I gain knowledge from highly established professors, who not only teach us information found in the books, but also pass their professional experiences to us all. Outside classes, I have joined student organizations to expand my horizons and put what I learn to practice.

For example, I am serving as the Director of the Private Equity, Angel Syndicates and Venture Capital Club (PAV club) at the DC campus. The PAV club is led by Professor Jim Liew and Professor Su Chen. The club is set to build professional connections between Carey Business School students and private equity, angel investing, and venture capital industries in the form of educational sessions, speaker series and formal significant events. Throughout my involvement in the PAV club, I have gained many skills and see the benefits of joining a student club as fitting four categories:

1. Meeting with intelligent and passionate peers

The club was first established by a group of students interested in Private Equity, Angel Syndicates and Venture Capital industries. We shared thoughts during discussions and enjoyed success when we reached established milestones. In addition, we meet more and more students who have the same interest during our events.

1. Networking with professionals

During the process of recruiting advisors to our board, we reached out to experts in related fields in Baltimore and Washington, DC. We communicated with those professionals through emails and gained opportunities to meet them face to face. I visited Randy Mitchell, the Vice President at EMPEA, together with our president and two board members. He agreed to join our advisor board to provide us with unique PE resources in emerging markets.

1. Practicing interpersonal skills

In order to benefit more students in both Baltimore and Washington, D.C., we integrate resources from both locations. We communicate with board members via email, telephone to discuss the events and organize the activities. We also collaborate with faculties in both campuses to promote our events and provide support.

1. Developing leadership skills

To make sure our events go smoothly, we need to allocate our resources effectively and consider every detail ahead of time. We practice thinking as leaders and take actions in time. We learn to negotiate to gain support and collaborate with other clubs to share resources.

The life of being a proactive student organization leader is abundant. I expanded my horizons, cultivated different abilities, and met great friends in student organizations. I am sure those experiences will not only provide pleasure to my life right now, but also provide profound impact on my future career.