Hello, New Semester!

Shiyu Xiong

Shiyu is a current student of the Master of Science in Finance program at Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. As a part-time student worker, she assists the Campus Operations team in Washington D.C. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Zhongnan University of Economics and Law in China. She also studied at ESC Rennes School of Business in France as an exchange student.

Welcome back! The spring semester has begun! As a current student, I’m very excited about the new classes, programs, and events that will come my way. Hope you are too!

I joined Carey’s intense Master of Science in Finance program last summer. During last semester, I tried to take any opportunity on or off campus to help myself enjoy the year, and additionally, to enrich my resume.

The best decision I’ve made is to become a student worker of the DC Campus Operations Department. Although I have to work 20 hours a week in addition to my study, it helps me get familiar with daily operations of our campus, from all the staff and faculties we have, to the next guest speaker we invite, and even the number of staplers we use. Moreover, working in a semi-professional environment, I practiced my soft skills every day, both my language and manners. Not to mention the payment, which financed a week-long vacation for me in Mexico.

Another exciting part of my life at Carey is volunteering. As an active participant of Model United Nations conferences, I’m eager to create value for a broader range of people. Therefore, with the help of the Career Development Office, I started searching as early as July and fortunately joined a global P2P microlending NGO as a virtual volunteer. As a community manager, I communicated with lenders all around the world and replied to their inquiries. More importantly, with firsthand materials, I came to learn about both challenges and opportunities of a typical NGO in microfinance.

While I enjoyed last semester very much, I’m going to make some adjustments to the upcoming one. Since I decided to take the CFA level 2 exam in June, I have cut my working hours on campus in half and will try to devote more time on job hunting. By the way, here are some tips for those of you interested in becoming an engaged student:

• Manage time and energy wisely, especially under pressure.
  • Make choices among available options, instead of taking them all.
  • Learn to transition from the role of a student to a professional through continuous practice.

I sincerely hope you find the above tips useful. Have a great and productive semester!