A picture is worth a thousand words, and the same goes for your LinkedIn profile photo. Let’s take a look at two Carey students who have the right idea:
Why are these photos great for a LinkedIn profile?
1. Head shot. Both photos are head shots. Not full length photos. Not group photos. They are simple and give the viewer an idea of what the person looks like.
2. Business attire. Both Udai and Eleni are dressed in business attire. No low-cut tops, no t-shirts; both portray a professional image.
3. Smiles. Both Udai and Eleni are smiling. Your smile does not have to imitate the Cheshire Cat’s grin, but a smile shows that you are an approachable, easy to work with, and enthusiastic individual.
4. Content. The backgrounds of both photos do not distract. They are modest and do not look busy.
5. Current. Both of these photos were taken during the current academic year, and they are accurate representations of what Udai and Eleni look like.
Your LinkedIn profile photo could likely be the first impression you make on an employer or a networking connection, so please follow the five rules listed above before you press Change Photo on your LinkedIn profile.