In this section, you will find sample resumes and cover letters that are created for business industry jobs and internships. The Career Development Office designed these templates based on input from employers and recruiters. Best practices within the business career services industry were also utilized.
You will also find sample professional emails and “thank you” notes for corresponding with employers and people in your network who have helped you in your career search.
The Career Development Office wants to help you craft and polish your documents. For individual coaching sessions, please schedule an appointment with us through Handshake.
Your resume is often the first chance to make a great impression on an employer or recruiter. Therefore, your document need to specific, unique, genuine, and professionally written without any errors.
As you apply for each position, you will want to refine and customize your resume to match the qualifications and expectations of that job. You should expect to have several versions of your resume. It is also good practice to have one general resume listing all of your experiences that is for your personal records, not to send to employers.
You can use this all-inclusive master resume as your template for creating job-specific resumes.
Resources for download:
- Follow these Resume Guidelines to set yourself up for an effective resume.
- When to be creative in your job search?
- Start every bullet with an action-oriented verb. Use the Resume Action Verbs document to start each bullet with a unique verb.
- In order to demonstrate your accomplishments, use Power Bullets to capture the recruiter's attention.
We are excited to partner with VMock to offer you automatic feedback on your resume. Once you receive a score of 75% or higher, you are ready to upload your resume into Handshake!
Important Additional Information on VMock:
We have partnered with VMock to help you in your resume preparation; however, this is not a replacement for career coach feedback. You will have the opportunity to have your resume reviewed by career coaches after you have put your resume through the VMock system and you have actioned the suggested feedback. Once you have done this, you may then attend a resume review session with a career coach.
You have 10 opportunities to upload and iterate your resume to make it the best you can through VMock. We advise that you keep some of these uploads in reserve so that you can make further changes after your coaching sessions and throughout your time at Carey.
Please note that although this system will help you to develop your resume and will give you some practical feedback, you should not get fixated with the overall benchmark scores. Resumes are necessarily subjective and the system reflects this. We are therefore not aiming for 100% and if you achieve 75%, you are well on your way to a great resume.
Once your resume has scored 75%, upload it to Handshake in order to apply for internships and job opportunities.
Interested in working outside the U.S. after graduation?
- Check out GoinGlobal for global city career guides with information around resumes, interviewing, professional etiquette and more!
- For those interested in working in China, please see our guide for crafting a Chinese resume. See a sample Chinese resume. There is also a Word document template available for download below.
At the bottom of this page, the Carey resume template is available to download onto your computer as a Word document. Here are a few sample resumes for your review:
Samples by Industry & Function
- Consulting Sample
- Finance Sample
- Healthcare Sample
- Government- build your resume within USAjobs
- Information Systems Sample
- Marketing Sample
- Real Estate Sample
Your cover letter is often the first chance to make a great impression on an employer or recruiter. Therefore, your document need to specific, unique, genuine, and professionally written without any errors.
As you apply for each position, you will want to refine and customize your cover letter to match the qualifications and expectations of that job. You should expect to have several versions of your cover letter.
Cover letter 101
Has it been a while since you have written a cover letter or is this your first time writing one? Review the Cover Letter 101 for structure and our top 10 tips!
- Understand when it is and is not appropriate to be creative in your job search
- Review the How to be an Effective Communicator to identify resources and activities to improve your communication skills
Professional and gracious communication is the key to building a strong network of people who can help you in your job search. Hopefully you are scheduling informational interviews, reaching out to connections on LinkedIn, and corresponding with individuals who can share information, give advice, and connect you with potential employers.
Thank you notes
- It is critical to write a thank you note 24-48 hours after your interview. Here are some Thank You Note Templates to help you.
- In addition to send thank you notes after an internship/job interview, you need to send them after informational interviews. See the Informational Interview Thank You Templates for samples and suggestions.
- Review the LinkedIn Outreach Email Templates for inspiration on sending personalized networking messages.
Internship and job offers
- Here are sample Accepting or Declining Offer Letters to help you craft your letter after receiving an offer.