Faculty may request a TA if:
- Onsite combined course enrollment during the same 8-week term (16-week UG) is greater than 70.
- Teaching an online course (TA allowed regardless of enrollment due to additional online course management)
- A single course section is approved by the Vice Dean as needing additional support.
- If combined enrollment for an onsite course is greater than 70, one TA can be hired.
- If online enrollment exceeds 80 students, an additional TA may be hired.
- TA’s hired can work up to 20 hours per week and be utilized across sections.
Advertising Your Student Position
- The sooner you post a TA position, the better. To advertise your position, please register and post the job on Carey Compass.
- Faculty are responsible for interviewing students and decide whom to hire for the position.
- PhD students working as a TA will be compensated $25 per hour
- Masters students working as a TA will earn $15 per hour
Internal Carey Posting
- We highly recommend and encourage hiring Carey students first for positions.
- If you would like to advertise your position, please log into Carey Compass and complete the job description form.
- If you have not used Carey Compass before – please download the simple step-by-step instructions.
- If the student has not worked for Carey before, the HR office must be notified at least 7 business days in advance of a student starting work in order for all the employment paperwork to be completed.
- If the student has already worked at Carey before, the HR office must be notified at least 4 business days in advance of a student working in order for all paperwork to be completed.
- If you can't find a Carey student who has previously taken the course, you can advertise your position with other Hopkins schools.
- Hiring students outside of Carey will extend the hiring process since students will need to be hired by the school in which they are enrolled.
- 4 to 6 weeks in advance, please fill out the job description form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please give 2 weeks notice to Paige Pape once you have identified a student worker if they are not a Carey student.
Teaching Assistant Requirements
Only full-time students taking at least 9 credits or more a semester are eligible to be hired as a student worker. This is a University policy and cannot be changed. In addition – students are only eligible to serve as a TA in courses they have successfully completed.
In general, TA’s can be asked by the instructor to perform a range of activities including:
- Helping the instructor with syllabus preparation
- Assisting the instructor in developing PowerPoint presentations for class
- Grading homework
- Grading exams
- Proctoring exams/quizzes or other assignments
- Holding office hours and/or responding to student questions in person or electronically
Students cannot work more than 20 hours per week combined with all their positions during a semester.
Identifying a Student Worker
After you have decided on the student, please notify the HR office immediately at email@example.com so the employment process can begin.
If you already have a student in mind and don’t need to advertise your position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the employment process prior to the student starting.
For all new hires who have not worked for Carey before, the HR office must be notified at least 7 business days in advance of a student starting work in order for all the employment paperwork to be completed. If the student has already worked at Carey before, the HR office must be notified at least 4 business days in advance of a student working in order for all paperwork to be completed. It is important for you to know that no paycheck will be issued without proper and timely completion of the Form I-9.
After HR has met with the student and paperwork is completed, the HR office will notify you when the student can begin working.
Notify Carey HR and Beth Lemkelde in payroll at email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org when student is done working for semester. If you would like student worker to continue, please notify HR and Payroll no later than December 20th for fall semester and May 20th for spring semester to keep them active. If we don't hear by those deadlines, payroll will remove the student worker from Harvest system and stop tracking hours.