Student Guide to the Employment Process

After You Have Been Offered A Position...

Make an Appointment with Carey HR Office

A student cannot work until they have met with the HR office to complete employment paperwork. The Carey Business School Human Resources Offices are open from 12:00 – 4:00 pm Monday thru Thursday. You must make an appointment ahead of time, so please schedule an appointment with our office to complete employment paperwork prior to starting by emailing Carey HR at

Employment Paperwork to Complete

(Bring all completed forms with you to the appointment)

Hours of Work

Full-time students may work no more than 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment. You can only work 20 hours in one week combined during all jobs. A student may not have more than 2 positions at one time.

During periods of non-enrollment, (i.e., summer, winter vacation, and intersession), student employees may work up to 40 hours per week. Please note: Student may not work more than 20hrs until the week following the Final examination period.

After you Meet with hr office 

Employee self service 

You will complete your tax and direct deposit forms in ESS once your information is entered into the payroll system. You will be notified by our payroll specialist in approximately 2 weeks at, when your information is entered into the system.  Then you should have access to ESS within 3-5 business days from then.

Once you have access please log onto Employee Self Service (EES) to complete your tax and direct deposit information. The University uses ESS, allowing you to log in using your JHED ID and password from your myJH email account.

using ess, you will be able to:

  • View/Update your tax withholdings for Federal and MD State (or DC, VA, DE, etc. - depending on where you live)
  • View/Update your permanent address
  • View your personal data
  • View/Print/Save your pay statements which are only available while an active employee in SAP and only for up to 3 years

Please double-check your updates before saving them, since the data is “live” and once updated will make instant changes in SAP.

You may access ESS through myJH ( once you login with your JHED ID and password. On the myJH homepage, you will see a column of icons on the left-side where you may place your cursor over the “myPayroll” icon. This opens a box to the right of it where you may click on the “ESS” icon which will open a new browser to that system. You’ll need to login again with your JHED ID and password. If you have any questions from that point, you may contact Payroll Shared Services (PRSS) at

Tax forms

If you have questions about filing out the form or your tax withholdings, you can contact the University Tax office at office at (443) 997-8688 or

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit takes 1-2 pay periods before going into effect. Your first two checks will be mailed to your home address we have on file from your paperwork.

Timesheet to track hours worked

The Payroll Specialist will set up an online timesheet for you to keep track of your hours worked. You will receive access to this in approximately two weeks.  Carey Business School uses Harvest to keep track of your hours worked. Each week you will go in and enter your hours. If you start before you receive the email from the payroll specialist, please keep track of your hours each week, and you will be able to go back in and update the timesheet.

Timesheets are due a few days before the pay period. Please view the schedule for submission and approval cutoff dates.

If you have any questions in regards to your timesheet or any payroll issues regarding your checks, please contact the payroll office at


You are paid the 15th and end of the month. Please note your first pay check will be issued the second cycle after your start date.

After graduation

Students who wish to continue working after graduation may do so in a 'Casual Staff' position provided their employing department agrees. The hiring manager must notify Paige Pape in the HR office about keeping their student worker on after graduation by April 1st for all paperwork to be completed. Transition from student worker to casual staff must be completed within 3 days of graduation. If the individual is international, VISA restrictions apply and the student must meet with the HR office to re-verify the I-9, prior to continuing working. 

If a hiring manager decides to keep their student worker after graduation and the deadline has passed, the position must be posted as a casual position through JHU Jobs, and can take 4-6 weeks for the process to be completed prior to the student working after graduation.

w-2 electronically 

You may access your W-2 for taxes online here

Contact carey's human resources office at