Lynn Hackney is among the best-known real estate development entrepreneurs in the Washington, D.C. region. As the founder of Urban Pace, a development services advisory firm, Lynn was the only woman in the area to have had sole ownership of a major real estate firm, residential or commercial, and capitalized on her firm’s success by selling to a multibillion-dollar company in 2016. Urban Pace is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
In 2008, Lynn founded Allyson Capital, a development and investment firm specializing in urban residential -condominium, multifamily, mixed-use and townhomes - with an average asset valuation of $50 M primarily concentrated in Washington D.C., New York, and Miami. Recent developments in D.C. include an 87-unit new construction condominium on Capitol Hill, a 165-unit multifamily development in the Ball Park District, and a historic building conversion into a mixed - use commercial and ultra-luxury condominium in the Central Business District. The portfolio includes stabilized assets in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan and Brickell in Miami.
The team also has vast experience engaging with city and state governments on affordable housing and redevelopment site opportunities. In addition, Allyson Capital has established a partnership with Community Three Development which since 2007 has extensive residential historic and adaptive reuse development experience.
Prior to 2010, Lynn was partners with EYA Development in EYA Urban Properties. Since 1992, EYA has been the preeminent developer of walkable townhome sites in Virginia, Maryland & DC creating and transforming entire neighborhoods.
In 2016, Lynn was elected to the Board of Directors of Eagle Bank, a publicly traded company based in Bethesda, MD. She serves on the Directors Loan and Asset Liability (ALCO) Committees. She previously served on the Board of Capital Bank and was a founding investor in Monument Bank, which was recently purchased by Revere Bank.
Lynn’s accomplishments in the real estate industry resulted in her election in 2015 to a two-year term as President of the prestigious DC Building Industry Association (DCBIA), the first woman ever to hold that post. Under her leadership, DCBIA had a record-breaking fundraising year for its 2017 Annual Gala, made its first appearance at the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) 2017 Conference, and established, for the first time, working groups with direct communication to every agency head of the DC government, the DC Council and the Mayor’s Office.
At the start of her career, she was the founder of the current number one real estate franchise in North America, Century 21 New Millenium under the Reology umbrella. Lynn was responsible for rolling up and purchasing over 20 real estate firms in the course of her ten years as a partner.
Board of Directors Participation
- Eagle Bank, Inc., 2016 to Present
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School Board, 2016 to Present
- The Community Services Corporation, 2015 to Present
- District of Columbia Industry Building Industry Association, 2012 to Present
- Capital Bank, 2013 - 2015
- Hamiltonian Artists, 2015 - 2017
Honors & Awards
- President, District of Columbia Building Industry Association, 2015 to 2017
- Chair, Mayor Muriel Bowser reelection campaign, 2018
- Co-Chair, National Ball for the Mall - Trust for the National Mall, 2018
- Smart CEO’s Brava Award, 2015
- DCA Live Top Real Estate Entrepreneurs, 2018
Nonprofit & Philanthropic
- St. Patrick’s Episcopal Day School in Washington, DC- Funds annual scholarship for a lesbian couple or single mothers child, 2015 to Present
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) mentorship program - one of very few women, mentoring a variety of young professionals many of whom are now leaders in their field, 2007 - 2012
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) - founding member, 2010
- Homeward Trails Animal Rescue - Senior Advisor and Major Fundraiser, 1995 to Present
- Bachelor of Science, Economics & Finance, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1988
- Master of Business Administration, Johns Hopkins University, 2003
- Certificate, Harvard Business School, 2012