Toby Gordon Faculty Bio
Toby Gordon, ScD
The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
100 International Drive
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: (410) 234-9432
Research Information Site:
Toby Gordon, ScD (Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2010. She serves as the Faculty Director of the Healthcare and Life Sciences MBA Programs and is an Associate Professor in the practice track with expertise in the areas of healthcare policy, management of health systems, and technology commercialization. Toby has a joint appointment in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Health Policy and Management), as well as a part-time appointment with the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery.
Honors and Distinctions
- 2008-Present Co-editor, Medical Innovation and Business, Wolters Klower Health
- 2007 Top 100 Minority and Women Business Entrepreneur (MBE)
- 2006 Maryland's Top 100 Women - Circle of Excellence, The Daily Record
- 2002 Governor's Volunteer Service Award, State of Maryland
- 2001-2006 Robert Woods Johnson Clinical Scholars Program Internal Advisory Board
- 2000-2006 Governor's Workforce Investment Board & Executive Committee, State of Maryland
- 2000 Publication Award of Excellence, AAMC Group on Institutional Advancement
- 1993-2001 Trustee Council of Penn Women, University of Pennsylvania
- 1983 The John Chancellor Hume Award for Significance of Doctoral Research in Health Policy and Management
- Gordon, TA, Binzer M. "Federal Stimulus Funding for Biotech Entrepreneurs," Medical Innovation and Business, 2009, Vol. 1:3, 8-11.
- Gordon, TA, Bowman, H.B., Bass, E.B., Lillemoe, K.D., Yeo, C.J., Heitmiller, R.F., Choti, MA, Burleyson, G.P., Cameron, J.L. "Complex Gastrointestinal Surgery: Impact of Provider Experience on Clinical and Economic Outcomes," Journal of American College of Surgeons, July 1999, 189:1:46-56.
- Gordon, TA, Bowman, H.B., Tielsch, J.M., Bass E.B., Burleyson G.P., Cameron, J.L. "Statewide Regionalization of Pancreaticoduodenectomy and its Effect on In-Hospital Mortality," Annals of Surgery, July 1998, 228:1:71-78.
- Gordon, TA, Burleson, G.P., Shahrokh, S., Bass, E.B., Cameron, J.L. "Cost and Outcome for Complex High-Risk Gastrointestinal Surgical Procedures," Surgical Forum of the American College of Surgeons, Volume XVII, October 1996, 47:618-620.
- Gordon, TA, Burleyson, G., Tielsch, J.M., Cameron, J.L. "The Effects of Regionalization on Cost and Outcome for One High-Risk General Surgical Procedure," Annals of Surgery, January 1995, 221:1:43-49.
- Strategy in Healthcare Organizations
- Commercializing Scientific Discoveries