James Calvin, PhD
Professor, The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
Joint Faculty Appointment, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Visiting Faculty, Instituto Superior de Psicologia Social, Lisbon, Portugal, November 2009 - Present
The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
100 International Drive
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: (410) 234-9409
James R. Calvin, PhD (Communication, Culture, and Phenomenology, New York University) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 1996. He is a Professor in the practice track with expertise in the areas of leadership development, community economic development and nonprofit organizations.
Honors and Distinctions
- Best Paper Award in Management Track, Academy of Business Research, March 20, 2012
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association, 2011
- Academy of Management Outstanding Leadership and Service Award, 2009
- Society for Advancement of Management Service Award, 2003-2008
- Recipient of the NASA Certificate of Appreciation for the development and Launch of the Accelerated Leadership Program, September 26, 2003
- National Leadership Award in Appreciation of Effective Contributions to the Improvement of American Education, Institute for Educational Leadership, March 1996
- Editorial Board,Community Development Journal, 2002 to present
- Editorial Board, Society for Advancement of Management Journal, 2000 to present
- Calvin, J., Moore, K. A., Beale, R. L. (September 2012). A global imperative for achieving managerial strength and synergy through the mitigation of micro-aggression workplace behavior. To appear in Academy of Business Research Journal, III. info@academyofbusinessresearchjournal
- Calvin, J.R., Lee, K.S. (2006, June). Stronger relationships, stronger communities: Lessons from a regional initiative. American Journal of Community Psychology. Springer, Volume 37, Numbers 34.
- Calvin, J.R. (2003, Autumn). Leadership networking and active transitions in the workplace. Freedoms, energy and transformative relationships. Society for Advancement of Management Journal, Volume 68, Number 4.
- Calvin, J.R. (2001, Summer). The post-learning organization: Work and life in diverse systems into the new millennium. Futures Research Quarterly, 16(4), 11-19
- Calvin, J.R. (1998, Spring). Values across cultural domains and borders: Technology and society in transformation. Futures Research Quarterly, 14(1), 77-86.
- Calvin, J.R. (1996, Fall). Adaptive and innovative leadership-capacity through reflective practice research. Futures Research Quarterly, 12(3), 63-76.
Works in Progress
- Calvin, J. (In Review) The age of Obama: Public policy considerations for government leaders, international organizations, and business and society in new globalization. In Love Chile (Ed.), AUT Globalization and Public Policy. Auckland.
- Calvin, J.R. (In Review). A Baltimore city approach to business viability and sustainability: Affecting a green business strategy to promote new business ventures. Advanced Management Journal. Society for Advancement of Management.
- Calvin, J.R., Green, E. (In Review) Experience and strategy for African American managers in a competitive global environment. Paper is currently being revised.
- Building Teams and Developing Teamwork
- Diversity and Conflict in Organizational and Community Settings
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- Principles of Organizational Leadership
- Project and Team Management