“THE OLDEST AND REMOTEST NATIONS ARE LOOKING HERE FOR LIGHT."
Those are the words from the inaugural address of Daniel Coit Gilman, Hopkins' first president. Bold then. And true now. More than 130 years ago he called for a fledgling university to reach for “a better state of society than now exists…less suffering in the hospital, less fraud in business, less folly in politics.”
Today, the Carey Business School is answering that call.
Business at Hopkins—an audacious beginning
Some of the earliest business-centered classes at Hopkins challenged conventional wisdom from the beginning. For example, Henry L. Gantt—class of 1880 and inventor of the Gantt Chart—became a major figure in the scientific management movement, presenting innovative and often controversial ideas in his lectures at Hopkins.
In 1916, Hopkins added business and engineering courses to a separate division of the university offering classes to part-time students. Energetic individuals such as Gantt fostered the growth of the new field of business administration and the concept of "working smarter" to enhance efficiency and profits. Following World War II, the Hopkins program produced more CPAs than any other school in Maryland.
Evolving to meet the needs of business and society
The Master of Science in Management Science program became the first graduate level business degree at Hopkins in 1961. It focused on the application of new findings in quantitative analysis and general systems theory. Over time, the program evolved into the management and economics-focused Master of Administrative Science program, graduating its first students in 1974. Enrollment in the program expanded rapidly. Ninety students completed the MAS program in 1979. By 1990, more than 400 students received MAS degrees.
In 1991, the school developed new programs to address a business landscape undergoing unprecedented transformations thanks to technological innovation, emerging economies, and escalating politics. Hopkins added the Master of Science in Business as well as Master of Science programs in Real Estate, Organization Development and Human Resources, Information and Telecommunication Systems for Business, Marketing, and Finance.
Major changes in the late 1990s included the creation of a Master of Business Administration degree and the collaboration with other Hopkins schools to offer Master’s/MBA programs in Medical Services Management, Biotechnology, Nursing, and Public Health.
A modern businessman honors his roots
On December 4, 2006, Johns Hopkins University trustees, in response to a gift from businessman William Polk Carey, voted to establish a new business school dedicated to producing innovative leaders with broad, interdisciplinary knowledge. The school was named after his great-great-great grandfather, James Carey of Loudon, a successful Baltimore merchant during the 18th and 19th centuries. On January 1, 2007, the new Carey Business School opened its doors for the first time, guided by a simple yet essential mission: teach business with humanity in mind.